We were very ready to put 2010 behind us. How did we ring in the exciting new year? We both fell asleep on the couch and woke up just before midnight. I have a cold, so there was no New Years kiss. We then hobbled off to bed and fell asleep again. Romantic, I know. But this boring beginning to the year could be a good omen. Perhaps this year will bring more relaxed times.
As we look forward to a more peaceful and relaxing new year, these are a few things that I learned in 2010:
- You're never going to know what's going to happen in life, nor can you control it.
- Don't let money rule your life.
- You'll find out who your true friends are when times get tough. Be sure you appreciate those who are still around when the dust clears.
- Be thankful and extra loving during the hard times -- it's not just hard on you.
- I absolutely made the right choice when I married Will. Our love and partnership grow stronger with each challenge we face.
We have months of recovery and rehab ahead of us.... well, Will has the rehab and recovery, I get to stand by him and try to keep him from overdoing it -- which is harder than it sounds. Will left the hospital yesterday afternoon. This morning, I wake up to the smell of sizzling bacon. I relax for a minute and enjoy the idea of a warm breakfast awaiting me. Then I remember that Will isn't supposed to lift more than 5 pounds or stand for longer than 3 minutes at a time. Damn it. If he's doing this less than 24 hours after coming home, what is he going to be trying to do in 2 weeks when he has the same restrictions???
It's going to be an interesting, frustrating, and laughter/tear-filled process. But I know that in the end it will be worth it. By the end of the year we will be conquering more than just financial and emotional mountains!
Happy 2011 everybody!